|We sure did celebrate much more in those days as defined by this 8 day programme.|
Many pages from the program were used for local advertising of the day, and its nice to see what those buildings look like in today's standards, as shown by these two photos. The colour photo to the right is from google earth and was taken in the summer of 2009.
The ad above is of course S. J. Hill and Sons Ltd as it looked in the early 1930s and also as it looked in the early 1850's. They also sold Ramblers at their American Motors Nash Division Dealership's here in Port Arthur and Fort William.
This is the present day building at S. J. Hill and Sons used car
lot on May and Dease street in Fort William.
This is the present day building of the
Fort William dealership.
This is the approximate present day area
of the Port Arthur Dealership on the
corner of Strand and Red River Road.
|This of course is the original Port Arthur Town Hall with location as stated under the photo.|
The following two photos are from the 1950's and also present day. By clicking on the pictures to enlarge them you can see Birks Stitt Jewellers on the left with Corporal Taxi to its left on the Court and Arthur Street corners as noted above.
The following picture is the corner of Court and Arthur Street(now Red River Road) showing more than a 150 year transition at the same location.
Simpsons-Sears and Eatons were the mainstay of business here in Fort William and Port Arthur for many years including such other places as Chapples Limited in Fort William.
|Reid's Tire and Battery on Bay Street...the building still exists today|
Shop-Easy was another well known Grocery Store here.
Most of the small box stores were soon to be bought out or
sold to whoever was larger, eventually leading to bigger box
stores such as Walmart, K-Mart, Zellers, and Super Store.
CFPA was originally at the site of
the present day CKPR radio and
Television at 87 N. Hill Street.
The Mariaggi Hotel also known as the Marina Inn was demolished
to make room for the Provincial Government building across from
the present day Marina Park.
Remember the original Scollie's was actually
on Catherine Street in Fort William long before
the latter day ice cream bar which was on the
corner of Walsh and Waterloo in Fort William.