Monday, June 8, 2009

A Young Man's Dream




This February 1958 cover of Hot Rod magazine is one of my favorites, as it shows probably some of the luckiest kids from that era competing in midget racing. This was always a dream of mine but without rich parents, it would always stay a dream. My father did build me a go-kart which I will talk about in a later post, but $395.00 may as well have been a million, as that would amount to a few months salary in our family back then. As luck would have it, I did have the opportunity to race hobby stock cars in the later '60's at Riverview Raceways here in Thunder Bay, but always wondered what it would have been like to even sit in one of these incredibly cool little cars. Well, thanks to my friend Ron Limbrick I had the opportunity to actually sit in a full size Midget Race car that Ron had owned for awhile, and that alone was quite a thrill.


No comments: