Monday, April 27, 2009

My First Car

















Here is the only known photograph taken of my first car, a 1949 Chevrolet 2-door coach. My dad had purchased it for $100. for my 16th birthday, had it all polished up and running like a Swiss watch. It was royal blue and it didn't take long for me to add wide whites, full moon disks, and a visor. I had tons of fun with this car and was immediately popular with the girls. Cars were and still are a chick magnet. I drove it summer and winter from 1960 and traded it in for my '57 Chev in 1964, when I got my first full time job. While owning this car I worked at a local grocery store making about 12 bucks a week. That paid for my gas, maintenance and dates. I dated my future wife Rosemary in high school while I still had this car, and I taught her how to drive in it! Once you learn 3 in the tree(are you old enough to remember what that means?) you can drive any standard or automatic.

No comments: